You will absolutely fall in LOVE with this aphrodisiac influenced cordial! Damiana is a wild shrub native to Mexico, Central America, and the West Indies that has been historically used as an aphrodisiac. Damiana is still used as an aphrodisiac today, as well as supporting relief of: headaches, bedwetting, depression, nervous upset stomach, constipation, and boosting mental and physical stamina. Damiana has also been used to enhance dreams. Chocolate and rose are known aphrodisiacs. Cacao contains phenylethyamines, which work similar to dopamine and epinephrine, creating heightened senses of well being.
First before we make this cordial I would suggest making this delicious chocolate syrup. This syrup is dairy-free and does not contain any refined sugar.
The Best Chocolate Sauce
- ¾ cup raw cacao powder ( or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup REAL Maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pulse together cacao powder, coconut sugar, and salt into a food processor until well combined.
- With food processor spinning, pour boiling water through feed tube.
- Stop processor, scrape sides, add the maple syrup and vanilla.
- Process again until consistently silky smooth.
- Transfer to a glass container and place in the fridge to cool for a few hours.
- Enjoy over ice cream or in this next recipe!
Damiana Chocolate Rose Love Cordial
- 1oz dried Damiana leaves
- 2 cups brandy or vodka (I used Brandy)
- 1 ½ cups filtered water
- 1 cup raw honey
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- 3 TBSP rose water
- ¾ cup of chocolate syrup (the recipe above is the best)
- Soak Damiana leaves in alcohol for 1-2 weeks. Strain and reserve liquid in a clean glass jar/bottle.
- Soak alcohol drenched leaves in filtered water for two-three days. Strain and reserve liquid.
- Gently warm the water extract (over low heat) and stir in honey. Remove from heat and add the alcohol extract. Pour into a clean glass jar and add vanilla, chocolate sauce, and rose water.
- Use your best discernment on the amounts of rose water and chocolate sauce. Adjust to you liking.
- Allow it to mellow for a few weeks. It definitely gets better with age. Store in fridge for several months.