Director & Conductor of the Mansfield Symphony Youth Strings (Grades 4-8)
The Director and Conductor of the Mansfield Symphony Youth Strings (MSYS) is responsible for the entire operation, which includes, but is not limited to:
- Scheduling rehearsals
- Scheduling concerts
- Conducting the concerts
- Recruitment and auditions
- Selection and preparation of music
The Director and Conductor of the Mansfield Symphony Youth Strings (MSYS) collaborates with the Director & Conductor of the Mansfield Symphony Youth Orchestra (MSYO) and answers to the Director of Education.
- Pass out Youth Strings Handbook before the first rehearsal.
- Rehearsals: Thursdays from 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM PM at Lexington Local Schools facility.
- Space maintenance: Lexington Local Schools does not charge rental fees, so leave the space as you found it, if not better.
- Arrive early to set up the rehearsal room (chairs and stands) for the rehearsal.
- Parents and some students help put the room back in shape following the rehearsal.
- Oversee Parent Helper duties
- Hire & schedule section Leaders ($15-$20 per rehearsal)
- Collect, keep records, and turn the following fees over with paperwork copies to the Director of Education:
- Membership fees: Youth Strings members pay a yearly tuition fee of $50 to participate, or $90 if there are two members of the same family in the Youth Strings or the Youth Orchestra.
- Photo payments
- Rehearsal attendance
- In collaboration with the Renaissance Staff, schedule two concerts each year (fall and spring)
- Concerts are on Sundays at 3:30 PM,
- dress rehearsal start at 12:00 PM,
- pizza and pop served to members at 2:30 PM.
- Collaborate with Marketing Manager on promotional materials and programs
- Send concert roster 30 days before concert date
- Schedule the final weekly rehearsal and dress rehearsal for each concert at the concert venue.
- Schedule an additional Tuesday night rehearsal that week.
- Held in May
- Mail notice to the newly accepted members (20-25)
- June: mail all members (50-60) music intended for the fall.
- After seating auditions mail the results of the auditions including a critique of the audition performance to all members.
- Complimentary tickets to private music teachers and school orchestra directors are mailed before each concert.
- A reminder letter is mailed the last week of December announcing the spring rehearsal schedule.
- Collaborate with MSO Librarian for sheet music needs
- Communicate with parents and students using the Remind App
Responsible for the Management of the Volunteer Parent Manager
- Responsibilities of the Volunteer Parent Manager for Youth Strings
- Records students for seating auditions
- Beverages, cups, and napkins for rehearsal breaks
- Secures help from other parents to serve pop and pizza to the members at the final rehearsal at the theater, between the dress rehearsal, and before the concert
- Plan the reception for everyone in attendance immediately following the concert.
- Coordinate with the Renaissance staff on needs and details
The Renaissance is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. To apply, please send a resume and letter of interest to Chelsie Thompson at [email protected]
Founded in 1980 and established in the grand historic Renaissance Theatre, Renaissance Performing Arts exists to engage, educate, and inspire our community by creating memorable experiences.
Internships, Work-Study, & Job Shadowing
Students who have an interest in working in any area of the performing arts are encouraged to contact us for current opportunities in the Technical, Box Office, Marketing, Development, and Education departments. Federal work-study funds may also be available to students who qualify at their college or university.