A longtime dream of the Renaissance Theatre (Mansfield, Ohio) was realized with the creation of the Emerging Artists Program at Theatre 166. Under the direction of and created by Artistic Director Michael Thomas, the goal of the program is to guide, encourage, support, and advocate for artists of all ages who wish to find their own voice through the creation of original work. By establishing an environment that promotes the importance of self-expression, risk-taking, and collaboration, the Theatre 166 Emerging Artists Program is designed to foster and translate an artist’s creative thinking into smart, vital, and thought-provoking new works.
In November of 2020, the Renaissance was informed that they had received a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, recognizing the importance of the Emerging Artists Program and generously funding it. This is the first time the Renaissance has received such a prestigious award from the NEA.
The Emerging Artists Program is accepting full-length play, musical, screenplay, and documentary submissions for their 2022-2023 season. Seven to ten scripts will be selected for readings. From these, one to three will be selected for our workshopping phase. Authors whose work has been chosen for workshop will receive a $500 Emerging Artist Award.
When to Submit
Submissions will be accepted January 31st through February 28th, 2022.
What to Submit
- Name, Address, Phone Number, Email, Short Bio, and Resume
- A ten-page sample of the play/musical/screenplay
- The first pages of the file must include:
- Title of the play
- Character breakdown and description (Please include total number of characters)
- One page (or less) synopsis of the play
- A paragraph describing the development history of the play/musical/screenplay you are submitting
Please DO NOT send full scripts at this point. All script samples must be submitted in PDF format using 12pt Times New Roman font, with a title page that lists characters and settings. Authors of scripts chosen for readings will be notified by email within 60 days of their submission. Please do not call or email to check on the status of your script.
Where to Submit
- Please include “Script Submission for Emerging Artists” in the subject box of your email.
- Only one submission per playwright
- Only unproduced submissions accepted
- Plays and musicals must be full length. No one-acts accepted at this time. Screenplays and documentary treatments may be full length or short films.
About the Renaissance Theatre, Theatre 166
The Renaissance Theatre is a 1400-seat, 1929 Warner Brothers movie palace located at 138 Park Avenue West in Mansfield, Ohio. Theatre 166, the Ren’s 125-seat black box space, is located at 166 Park Avenue West in Mansfield, adjacent to the main theatre. The Renaissance produces three main stage and three studio productions each season, along with live concerts, family programming, youth theatre performances, the Mansfield Symphony, and the Miss Ohio Scholarship Program. The Emerging Artists Program presents three to five productions each season. Past original programming developed at the Renaissance has included:
- 2010 Sentimental Journey: Voices of World War II (Play with Music)
- 2011 Remember Me Always (Musical)
- 2012 The Unforgettable Marvelenes (Musical Revue)
- 2013 Twilight Gardens (Musical)
- 2014 Count: The Legend of Dracula (Ballet)
- 2015 Creole Cinderella (Ballet)
- 2016 Hot Mess: A Lethal New Musical (Musical)
- 2017 Sentimental Journey with the Mansfield Symphony (Play with Music)
- 2018 The Last Act (Musical)
- 2019 At Last: An Evening with Etta James (Musical)
- Heartaches (Teleplay)
- QuaRENtine Creations (Streaming Series)
- Young and Unsullied: The Redemption of Ruby Crowe (Play)
- This Too Shall Pass (Musical)
- Desde Mi Corazón (Documentary Film)
For more information, email EmergingArtists@mansfieldtickets.com